MPH Practicum/Internship Experiences with the Allegheny County Health Department
The Pittsburgh Summer Institute in Applied Public Health (PSI) provides an enhanced and productive practicum experience at the Allegheny County Health Department. In addition to working to address real public health problems in the county, participants experience the day-to-day operations of an active health department while working with experienced public health practitioners. In addition to their individual projects, PSI students engage in a group project that exposes them to the multidisciplinary, cross-cutting nature of work that is done in a local health department. The PSI offers a stipend of $1,500 to each student.
- Attendance at orientation
- Completion of a 200 hour practicum (flexible schedules are possible)
- Participation in PSI group project (min. 15 hours)
- Completion and presentation of a project that addresses a specific public health need in Allegheny County at one the Annual Student Showcase
Qualifications for summer 2019
- Current University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health student though the summer of 2019
- Must have completed two semesters enrolled as a graduate student by the start of PSI
Applications for summer 2019 will be open on or around January 11. Stay tuned for the release of the application here!
About the psi
The PSI is sponsored by the Graduate School of Public Health. For students interested in PSI opportunities, questions can be directed to Robin A. Leaf, MEd. educational programs and practicum manager.