Applications for admission to the Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology are processed through the Office of Student Affairs at Pitt Public Health. You must apply for the MS, MPH, and PhD programs through SOPHAS, the centralized application service for graduate schools of public health. Please note, SOPHAS submits applications to Pitt Public Health only after all required materials are received. Applicants who have submitted applications may track their status online.
In addition to the Pitt Public Health requirements for admission, IDM degree programs have additional admission requirements depending on the program:
MS and PhD programs
- minimum 3.0 combined grade-point average in biology, chemistry, math, and biochemistry and/or molecular biology and/or immunology
- relevant research experience in biochemistry, immunology, and molecular biology
- college biology with or without microbiology
- chemistry, including organic chemistry with laboratory and biochemistry
- college-level algebra
- minimum six credits of college-level behavioral science, to include at least one course in sociology or social psychology and an additional course in anthropology, economics, political science, psychology, or sociology with a grade of C or better
For more information about applying or tuition and financial aid, please visit Pitt Public Health admissions, or contact email@example.com.
For more information about academic credentials for admission, contact Jeremy Martinson by phone at 412-624-5646 or email.
In addition to the application materials required of all students, international students must submit an official score report from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam and a WES evaluation. A minimum TOEFL score of 90 (100 preferred) on the Internet test is required for all international students. The minimum acceptable score on the IELTS is Band 7.0, and applicants must take the academic writing and reading modules of the test. The minimum acceptable Duolingo English Test score is 115.
Review by departmental committees takes an average of four to six weeks. As soon as an application is returned to the Office of Student Affairs, the applicant will be notified of the admissions committee’s decision.
Application deadlines for all programs