MPH Practicum/Internship Experiences with the Allegheny County Health Department
The Pittsburgh Summer Institute in Applied Public Health (PSI) provides an enhanced and productive practicum experience at the Allegheny County Health Department. In addition to working to address real public health problems in the county, participants experience the day-to-day operations of an active health department while working with experienced public health practitioners. In addition to their individual projects, PSI students engage in a group project that exposes them to the multidisciplinary, cross-cutting nature of work that is done in a local health department. The PSI offers a stipend of $1,500 to each student.
- Attendance at orientation
- Completion of a 200 hour practicum (flexible schedules are possible)
- Participation in PSI group project (min. 15 hours)
- Completion and presentation of a project that addresses a specific public health need in Allegheny County at the Annual Student Showcase
Qualifications for summer 2018
- Current University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health student though the summer of 2018
- Must have completed two semesters at Pitt Public Health by the start of PSI
- Note: Qualifications subject to finalization for summer 2018 application
Applications for summer 2018 are now open and will require completion of a brief form, cover letter, and resume. The application deadline is 11:59 p.m. on Friday, February 9.
About the psi
The PSI is sponsored by the Graduate School of Public Health. For students interested in PSI opportunities, questions can be directed to Robin A. Leaf, MEd. educational programs and practicum coordinator.