Joel Weissfeld, MD, MPH (’82), associate professor in the Department of Epidemiology, was awarded the 2008 James L. Craig Award for Teaching Excellence at GSPH’s 58th Convocation.
The Craig Award was established through the generosity of GSPH alumnus James Craig, MD, MPH (’63) to recognize GSPH faculty who have excelled in teaching and mentoring of students. Craig awardees are nominated annually by GSPH students and selected by a committee of GSPH students and past Craig awardees. The Craig awardee receives a plaque, and his or her department receives $5,000, which the awardee can use for teaching-related activities.Weissfeld earned his BA in chemistry and biological sciences from Kent State University, his MD from Johns Hopkins University, and an MPH in epidemiology from GSPH. His research interests are cancer epidemiology and epidemiology and health services research. Following are some of the comments made about Dr. Weissfeld by students who nominated him for the Craig award:
• “Dr Weissfeld is an excellent teacher who is highly dedicated to the teaching profession and to his students. He spends more time helping and explaining complex materials to students on a one-to-one basis than any teacher I have known. He invests fully in his students, and never gives up on a student. He is a very trustworthy person and is interested in his students’ wellbeing both academically and generally. Dr Weissfeld is always willing to help his students but never asks for anything in return.”
• “Dr Weissfeld puts his heart and soul into providing the training that students need.”
• “Dr. Weissfeld is a truly exceptional teacher. He has a unique ability to foster discussion among students and to challenge them to think critically about course material.”
• “What has impressed me most about him is his responsiveness to the ideas and requests of his students. I have also been struck by his genuine interest in working with students. He is never too busy to meet with students and always offers useful feedback.”
• “Dr Weissfeld is truly an example of a professor dedicated to teaching and to mentoring and inspiring students. I have never known another professor so willing to offer up so much of his time to help a student. Dr Weissfeld goes beyond what is expected of a teacher.”
• “He is the most attentive professor I have encountered at GSPH. It is obvious that he really cares about his students.”
Excellent teaching is both demanding and rewarding. Past Craig Award Winners are:
David Rowe, associate professor, IDM, 2002
Karen Peterson, assistant professor, BCHS, 2003
Todd Reinhart, associate professor, IDM, 2004
John Wilson, assistant professor, Biost, 2005
Joanne McVay, assistant professor, (retired) HAS, 2006
Candace Kammerer, associate professor, HuGen, 2007
We celebrate their contributions to the education of our students.