MPH Practicum/Internship Experiences with the Allegheny County Health Department
Program Dates: May 12- July 18, 2014
Application Deadline: February 14, 2014
The Pittsburgh Summer Institute in Applied Public Health (PSI) provides an enhanced and productive practicum experience at the Allegheny County Health Department. In addition to working to address real public health problems in Allegheny County, participants will experience the day-to-day operations of an active health department while working with experienced public health practitioners. PSI also includes weekly seminars focused on applied public health, as well as opportunities to visit and learn from personnel from other public health program areas (e.g., maternal and child health, infectious disease programs, chronic and behavioral health, housing, air and water quality, food safety, etc.)
Core Experiences Include:
- Completion of a 200 hour / 10 week practicum (flexible schedules are possible)
- Completion and presentation of a project that addresses a specific public health need in Allegheny County
- Attendance at weekly seminars during the first six weeks
- Participation in activities of at least two different ACHD programs
- Participation in at least one inspection activity (e.g., food safety, air quality, housing, water quality)
- Attendance at Board of Health or County Council meetings
- Completed at least one year of graduate level studies in public health or health sciences
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Good academic standing
How to Apply:
- Download the application.
- Return your completed application along with a resume or CV that lists both paid and volunteer experiences, a personal statement expressing your interest in the program and your career goals (600 word limit), and an unofficial transcript.
For inquiries and additional information, please contact Linda Duchak at firstname.lastname@example.org.