Both in and out of the classroom, Pitt Public Health offers outstanding opportunities to gain the knowledge and career skills you need.
In the Classroom
- The ability to enroll in one or two of our school’s nine certificate programs while earning your degree.
- An MPH core curriculum based on the Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPPH) competencies providing students a strong foundation in the core areas of public health. The core curriculum is constantly being updated to ensure that the most important new ideas and methodologies in public health are included.
- New programs, certificates, and courses are being developed all the time. Some of the newest additions to our curriculum include:
- Introduction to Health Care Compliance course
- Global Epidemiology of Vaccines and Vaccination course
- Transforming Global Health Education into Action course
- Professionalism and Career Development course
- Law in Public Health Practice course
- Pathophysiology of Environmental Disease course
- Legal, Economic, and Operational Foundations course
- The ability to register for classes in the any of Pitt’s schools of the health sciences (dental medicine, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, and health and rehabilitation) or any other school within the University, and thanks to the Pittsburgh Council on Higher Education the ability to cross register and take courses at nine area colleges and universities without any additional charge for tuition.
- Pitt Public Health's accreditation through the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) ensures that our curriculum, services, and facilities meet or exceed the quality standards established by CEPH.
Outside of the Classroom
- Unparalleled opportunities for research and practice with our world-class faculty. All students graduate with an in-depth research or practice experience – often both. Our faculty: student ratio is 1:4, and many students take advantage of opportunities to work with other faculty at the University.
- Access to research and practice centers housed within the school.
- Dozens of speakers, workshops, and special events every month.
- Our annual Dean’s Day research competition, a school-wide celebration of student research featuring close to 100 students every year
- The school’s commitment to financially supporting all eligible students to sit for the Certified in Public Health exam.
- The Student Certification in Teaching Fundamentals offers students a special training credential that covers teaching methods, mentoring/advising, classroom methods, and ethical issues.
- More than 60 years of relationships fostered with public health agencies in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, across the country, and around the world.